Aside from providing prestige, the role of the editorial board is to advise and support the editor. Functions may include:
- Identifying new topics for commissions, special editions and advising on direction for the journal—giving feedback on past issues and making suggestions for both subject matter and potential authors
- Provide content by writing occasional editorials and other short articles
- Approaching potential contributors
- Peer review; also help to identify peer reviewers and provide second opinions on papers (i.e. where there is a conflict between reviewers)
- Identify appropriate conferences for editors to attend
- Endorse the journal to authors, readers and subscribers and encourage colleagues to submit their best work.